Why we are investing in our own data centre?
Did you know we have been providing hosting services for over 16 years?
A timeline of when we launched a hosting product within hosting portfolio over these 16 years can be seen below:
- Domain Names – 1996
- Web Hosting – 2002
- Colocation – 2004
- Dedicated Servers – 2005
- Managed Hosting – 2006
- Cloud Hosting – 2011
So why we are investing in our own data centre?
Some of the reasons for building our own data centre include:
- We recognise where the IT industry is heading in particular Cloud and we want to ensure we have the infrastructure in place to support our customers needs
- In response to the increased demand for data centre capacity in the North West
- To meet the demand for hosting by our existing connectivity customers
- Allows us to further improve our existing hosting portfolio
- To meet our customers expectations regarding quality of service and support
- Our hosting portfolio has grown significantly
As Richard Tang, Zen Internet’s Founder & Managing Director, put it -
Our mission is to provide the best ISP service in the UK. Translating our mission into action requires us to continually improve every aspect of what we do. This latest investment represents a significant improvement to our business, making a world class data centre available to our customers, and backing it up with an industry-leading level of support and service.
This is a very exciting time for Zen. Technology and the Internet are developing as fast as ever, and it’s fantastic to be part of it.
The data centre build began in November 2011 and the new data centre will open at the end of April 2012. The new data centre provides us with additional capacity for over 10,000 new servers, enough capacity to support the rapid growth of our comprehensive hosting portfolio. It also puts us in a position to support the growth and changing requirements of our IP VPN customers who are looking to move more and more of their applications into the cloud.
If you are interested in our new Greater Manchester data centre, you can book a data centre tour.